Insuring a Period Property (or just an Old House if you prefer a less imposing description) is a little harder than a standard new-build home.  Insurers factor in the probability that the home will be run down in some way, and need work to bring it up to standard.  They work on the basis that it is old, and therefore worn out.  There seems to be a divide within the industry - at around 150 years old.  That means if your property is older than Victorian, insurance companies are likely to run a mile unless they are specialists in this sort of property, and understand the risks they are taking.  

A good survey will help - the fact that the house has been properly surveyed by someone who knows all about old buildings, and the way they are built - the materials used - will help specialist insurers to make a decision that is favourable to you.  Being able to show them that the house is well maintained with the right materials will help.  Everything is about mitigating their risk - so the more you can show them you are able to do that, the more likely they will take you on board.

That's why we offer our survey services around the country - we have specialist 'old property' knowledge, and are used to working with old, damp houses.  They aren't all 'damp' - but more often than not, problems may be found which with the right knowledge can be explained and sorted out in such a way that the report is favourable.  

Cover for Reinstatement cost:

You should make sure cover allows for the use of appropriate materials if the property is listed.  English Heritage point out that rebuild costs are often greater if Listed properties are damaged, and you are legally required to repair or replace 'As Was', in Like for Like condition. If more than 40% of the building has survived, it is likely, according to English Heritage, that this will be the case.  Rebuild Costs vary enormously.  A brick built structure, with owner builder supervision can be as low as £900 per square metre, but a burned out thatched cottage could cost upwards of £2500 per square metre.  It is important to make sure your building is properly covered, otherwise you may well be penalised if an insurance claim is made and you are found to be under insured.  We can help with estimating rebuild costs as part of our Building Survey if needed.

Knowledge Base
Recent News
Breathable Masonry Paint

The topic of Breathable Masonry Paint is probably one of the most common questions that I'm asked about. To understand it, you have to delve into the meaning of...

RICS Dampness Methodology Statement

Some time back, the RICS published a load of stuff about dealing with damp. I was very critical of it.

I'm delighted to say that I was invited to meet up with some of the...

Pete's on BBC Radio 4 now!

Pete recently did an interview on BBC Radio 4 - You and Yours - which investigated a case history of failed cavity wall insulation.

An Irish client and his magnificent restoration blog

Our client, John, wanted help with this restoration - it led to this great blog.

The Haynes Manual for Period Property

Ian Rock has written another of his great books.  This one is even better - We've helped Ian with this one and there's loads of photos of our guys doing timber frame work.  A great book, with lots of practical information you need if you have an old home.  Treat yourself and buy this - you won't regret it!

Share this page

If you've found this site useful, please share it with your friends!

Watch heritage.survey on Instagram

Website by twoclicks